A brief overview in the processing of the Type I Certificate
How to apply for Type I Service
Submitting documents to FCCPT
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Examination
Frequently asked questions about the Type I Certificate
List of fees for each service
Frequently Asked Questions about the Type I service
What if my education is not found to be equivalent?
If the Educational Credentials Review results in an applicant being found “not equivalent”, the applicant may apply for a re-evaluation of their educational credentials after submitting additional information about his or her education. Learn more about the re-evaluation process by going to "Returning Applicants"/"Re-Evaluation" or if you need assistance in interpreting your final review go to the information on P-L-A-N, Planned Learning and Assistance Network.
Why must documents come directly from the school registrar or licensing agency?
To allow the FCCPT to verify the authenticity of all academic credentials (transcripts/mark sheets/grade lists/etc. and syllabus/course descriptions/detailed course content outlines), documents must be mailed directly from the official offices, and be accompanied by the forms you have sent.
To allow FCCPT to verify the authenticity of all physical therapy licenses/registration from the country where the applicant’s physical therapy education was completed, please forward the following forms to the appropriate institution(s):
If I have had a previous NY verification and want a new service do I have to request the documents again?
If the applicant wants to get a physical therapy license to work in another jurisdiction, the applicant can apply with FCCPT for either the Comprehensive Credential Evaluation (Type I Service), or the Educational Credentials Review Service. All documents collected for the New York Verification Process are kept on file at FCCPT and will be used for additional services.
What is the difference between the document titles?
Different countries use different terminology, please request the documents that best describe your country’s terminology.
- An official transcript, grades, or mark sheets of the applicant’s PT education.
- A transcript is a record of all courses taken,
- the hours of instruction or credit/units for each course,
- and the grade earned in each course with the grade description.
- Students from India, Pakistan, and other countries that do not issue original documents, should instruct the school to send attested copies of university mark sheets and a transcript of hours.
- An official syllabus of the applicant’s PT education based upon graduation year.
- FCCPT needs a detailed syllabus of all PT education.
- Short course descriptions are not sufficient in most cases to find content.
- FCCPT has syllabi for certain schools and graduation years in its library.
- Applicants are encouraged to view their checklist after applying to determine if a new syllabus needs to be requested.
- Official transcripts of all non-PT, post secondary education are required.
What if I do not hold a license in my country of education?
The USCIS requirement for Type 1 certification is to be eligible to practice in country of education.
- Official verification of eligibility to practice in the applicant’s country of education (this may be active or inactive).
- Official verification of all other active physical therapy licenses/registrations, including any and all US physical therapy licenses (if applicable).
What if I have not taken the NPTE? Is the score transfer report required?
If an applicant has a US PT license then a Score Transfer Report from the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) must be sent to FCCPT to verify the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) score. A score transfer can be requested by going to www.fsbpt.org.
If you have not yet taken the NPTE and are not yet licensed this is not a required document.
How can I provide documentation of English Language Proficiency?
- Passing scores on the TOEFL, TWE, TSE and/or Internet-based TOEFL (IBT).
- If you pass the composite of the TOEFL but not the speaking you can submit a Speaking score from another exam and this will be combined with the first score.
- The US federal regulations specify that foreign educated physical therapists must pass the TOEFL examinations.
- Federal regulations do not permit substitution of other English examinations for TOEFL. Official score reports of the TOEFL, TWE, TSE and/or IBT must be sent directly from ETS.
- Contact ETS through their web site www.ets.org to take these tests and have the results forwarded directly to FCCPT.
- The FCCPT Institution code is 8164.
What is the Educational Credentials Review portion of the Type 1 process?
- Compares the educational records that are provided by an applicant’s educational institutions to the current requirements for the first professional degree in physical therapy in the U.S.
- Determines whether the applicant’s education is substantially equivalent to that of an accredited physical therapy degree program in the U.S.
- Uses the Coursework Evaluation Tool (CWT) established by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy.
- Determined to be a reliable, valid tool. The Coursework Evaluation Tool has been validated against the Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) criteria.
- You may download a copy of the current Coursework Evaluation Tool by going to www.fsbpt.org and selecting "Regulatory Tools" / "CWT" / ”CWT 5”.
If the applicant also applies to a state that accepts the CWT related to year of graduation this is sent to the applicant as well, but does not qualify for the type 1 certification.
How will I receive my report?
All reports are sent via electronic attachments to applicants and the jurisdictions (except New Jersey). The applicant should be certain to update their file with any changes to their e-mail address. If the applicant wishes to have the report sent in a trackable form, the applicant may add a Federal Express Account Number to their file and then e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send them via FedEx. We will e-mail the tracking number to the applicant when it is sent.
What are the forms needed for the Type 1 service?
Download the required necessary forms for the Type I Comprehensive Credential Evaluation (Type I Certificate) service here.
- Application Checklist
- Request for Academic Credentials Verification (page one to be filled out by applicant, page two to be completed by registrar)
- Request for Verification of Physical Therapy License (page one to be filled out by applicant, page two to be completed by regulatory authority)
- Release of Information form *optional
- Type I Attestation form (with recent passport photo)
Return to Top