A brief overview in the processing of your Educational Credentials Review Service
How to apply for the Educational Credentials Review Service
Submitting documents to FCCPT
Frequently asked questions about the Educational Credentials Review Service
List of fees for each service
Frequently Asked Questions about the Education Credentials Review Service
What if my Education is not found to be equivalent?
If the Educational Credentials Review results in an applicant being found “not equivalent”, the applicant may apply for a re-evaluation of their educational credentials after submitting additional information about his or her education. Learn more about the re-evaluation process by going to "Returning Applicants"/"Re-Evaluation" or if you need assistance in interpreting your final review go to the information on P-L-A-N, planned learning and assistance network.
What is the Educational Credentials Review?
The Educational credentials review is for licensure purposes, for entry to an academic program, or for the Medicare/medicad requirements. It is a part of the Type 1 process for visa screening as well. It:
- Compares the educational records that are provided by an applicant’s educational institutions to the current requirements for the first professional degree in physical therapy in the U.S.
- Determines whether the applicant’s education is substantially equivalent to that of an accredited physical therapy degree program in the U.S.
- Uses the Coursework Evaluation Tool (CWT) established by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy.
- Determined to be a reliable, valid tool. The Coursework Evaluation Tool has been validated against the Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) criteria.
- You may download a copy of the current Coursework Evaluation Tool by going to www.fsbpt.org and selecting "Regulatory Tools" / "CWT" / ”CWT 5”.
If I have had a previous NY verification and want a new service do I have to request the documents again?
If the applicant wants to get a physical therapy license to work in another jurisdiction, the applicant can apply with FCCPT for either the Comprehensive Credential Evaluation (Type I Service), or the Educational Credentials Review Service. All documents collected for the New York Verification Process are kept on file at FCCPT and will be used for additional services.
What is the difference between the document titles?
Different countries use different terminology, please request the documents that best describe your country’s terminology.
- An official transcript, grades, or mark sheets of the applicant’s PT education.
- A transcript is a record of all courses taken,
- the hours of instruction or credit/units for each course,
- and the grade earned in each course with the grade description.
- Students from India, Pakistan, and other countries that do not issue original documents, should instruct the school to send attested copies of university mark sheets and a transcript of hours.
- An official syllabus of the applicant’s PT education based upon graduation year.
- FCCPT needs a detailed syllabus of all PT education.
- Short course descriptions are not sufficient in most cases to find content.
- FCCPT has syllabi for certain schools and graduation years in its library.
- Applicants are encouraged to view their checklist after applying to determine if a new syllabus needs to be requested.
- Official transcripts of all non-PT, post secondary education are required.
What if my school does not issue official transcripts?
In countries such as India and Pakistan, the FCCPT accepts only university-issued mark sheets, not college mark sheets. The mark sheets may be attested by one of the following: the college principal or the university registrar or university controller of examinations.
How will I receive my report?
All reports are sent via electronic attachments to applicants and the jurisdictions. The applicant should be certain to up-date the FCCPT with any changes to their e-mail address. If the applicant wishes to have these sent in a track-able form, the applicant may submit a Federal Express Account Number and we will send them via FedEx, and will send a tracking number to the applicant when it is sent.
Please send a fax (703-684-8715) or an email to email@example.com with the account number and intended use for the account.
What are the required forms for the Educational credentials review?
- Application Checklist
- Request for Academic Credentials Verification (page one to be filled out by applicant, page two to be completed by registrar)
- Release of Information form *optional
- Request for Verification of Physical Therapy License (filled out by applicant) *optional
- Educational Credentials review Attestation form (with recent passport photo)
Return to Top